5 Students Injured in Ohio Dorm Fire

Three students suffered smoke inhalation and two students suffered minor injuries as they jumped from a window to safety.


WILBERFORCE, Ohio --

Authorities at Central State University said a fire broke out early Thursday morning in one of the residential dorms, injuring about five students.

University President John Garland said the fire was contained to one of the rooms in Hunter Hall, forcing all students to evacuate the building.

Garland said the room was unoccupied at the time of the fire. It happened in a second floor room of the 4-story building.

He said that three students suffered smoke inhalation and two students suffered minor injuries as they jumped from a window to safety.

Garland did not say how the fire started, but it remains under investigation.

According to Garland, the parents of the students have been notified of their injuries. He said that all students who lived in the building are being cared for in the university cafeteria.

Firefighters from Xenia, Xenia Township, Fairborn, Beavercreek and other surrounding communities responded to the fire scene.

University officials said about 75 percent of students who live on campus had already left for the year because today is the last day of final exams.

Stay tuned to News Center 7 and whiotv.com for more on this developing story.

Copyright 2008 by . All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.