The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health has added its logo to the National Fire Service Seat Belt Pledge 100 percent compliant certificate.
NIOSH Acting Director Dr. Christine Branche endorsed the campaign -- which was started by Firehouse.com contributor Dr. Burton A. Clark in 2006.
"Motor vehicle-related crashes are the second leading cause of death for firefighters, and reducing this toll on our nation's firefighters is a priority for NIOSH," Branche said in a statement.
"Wearing seat belts is an essential component of efforts to ensure the safety of firefighters in fire apparatus and vehicles."
NISOH joins the US Fire Administration, the International Association of Fire Chiefs, the National Volunteer Fire Council, the National Fire Protection Association and the National Fallen Firefighters Foundation as supporters of the campaign.
"We are grateful to NIOSH for adding their logo to the Seat Belt Pledge 100 percent certificate," U.S. Fire Administrator Greg Cade said in a statement. "We welcome their participation to further support our efforts to encourage and remind firefighters to buckle up."
Related Firehouse.com Content
- Our 2007 Seat Belt Tale
- Certificate for Seat Belt Pledge Now Available - Will Your Department Get One?
- Do You Have The Courage To Take The Seat Belt Pledge?
- Leadership: We Killed Firefighter Brian Hunton
- Poster: Remember Us - Buckle Up
- Video: Firefighter Hugh Lee Newell story
- Seat Belt Pledge Form (PDF format)
- Seat Belt Pledge Form (DOC format)
- Video: National Seat Belt Pledge
- Podcast: Leadership on the Line: Seat Belts - Past, Present, Future
- 60 Second Seat belt PSA
- 45 Second Seat belt PSA
- 30 Second Seat belt PSA
- Seatbelt Pledge Interview with USFA Administrator Greg Cade
- Seat Belt Pledge Interview with DC Fire Chief Dennis Rubin
- Seat Belt Pledge Interview with Montgomery County, MD Fire Chief Tom Carr
- Seat Belt Pledge Interview with Hampton. VA Deputy Chief George Morgan