6 L.A. Firefighters Treated For Exposure To Fumes

LOS ANGELES --

Six firefighters were released from a hospital early Thursday after being exposed to fumes in a market that was closed for fumigation, authorities said.

Firefighters were called to Glatt Mart, a Kosher market at 8708 W. Pico Blvd., at 9:15 p.m. Wednesday when a fire alarm at the location was activated, said Brian Humphrey of the Los Angeles Fire Department.

When no external evidence of a fire was found, crews forced entry into the market to complete their investigation, he said.

Upon entry, six firefighters became ill from the presence of Pyrocide 100, a commercial aerosol pesticide fumigant that was being used for pest control at the location, he said.

The six were treated at the scene for respiratory irritation, one for chest discomfort. All were taken to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in fair condition and released within two hours, he said.

A LAFD Hazmat team along with the commercial pest control firm that placed the insecticide inside the market determined that there was no fire inside the structure, he said.

No civilians were hurt, Humphrey said.

Investigators from the Los Angeles County Fire Department's Health Hazardous Material Division were summoned to the scene to determine whether the fumigant used was appropriate for a food store, Humphrey said.

The market will remain closed at least until investigators complete their assessment, he said.

Copyright 2008 by KNBC.com and KNBC (NBC4 Los Angeles). All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Loading