Two Virginia Firefighters Burned During House Fire

An intense series of thunderstorms moved through Virginia on July 19 and in the wake numerous fires were sparked.

In Prince George County (Va) a call was dispatched at 2142 hours for a structure fire at the 400 block of Fairway Road in the Bland Ridge Subdivision.

Max Bornstein, Director of Prince George Fire and EMS said arriving crews found fire showing through the roof of the single-story rancher.

Initial attack lines were 1 3/4.

Crews launched an aggressive fire attack and while battling the blaze two firefighters were burned. The firefighters were examined and treated by Prince George Emergency Crew.

Bornstein said the injuries were minor and the firefighters were not transported.

The fire operation began as offensive then switched to defensive.

Responding were: Station 3 (Carson), Carson Substation,Station 1 (Prince George), Station 2 (Disputanta) and on mutual aid Petersburg Engine 5. Prince George Emergency Crew provided EMS support.

Fire was marked under control at 2337 hours. The home was lived in but unoccuppied at time of the fire.

Damage is estimated at $300,000. Cause is believed to be a lightning strike but is still under investigation.

In Colonial-Heights (Va) on July 19, 2006, around 2200 hours Colonial Heights Fire & EMS were dispatched to the area in the 100 Block of Stratford Drive for a reported house fire.

Lt. J.E. Boisseau of Colonial Heights Fire and EMS said upon arrival firefighters discovered a single family dwelling with heavy amounts of fire in the attic and roof area.

First on scene was Quint 2 and the crew made a quick entry to locate possible victims and control the fire. The search revealed the family was not at home.

Initial attack lines of 1 3/4 were advanced.

Additional arriving crews included: Squirt 1, Squad 2, Battalion 5, Medic 1 and Medic 5. On mutual aid, Chesterfield Fire and EMS Truck 12 (Ettrick Station) assisted. Fort Lee responded for a station fill in.

Due to fire conditions and safety concerns, Boisseau said firefighters were briefly pulled out, launched a defensive attack, then went back in.

The fire was brought under control about an hour later.

Boisseau explained that the residence suffered extensive damage to the attic and roof area. The other parts of the house receive fire, smoke and water damage.

Damage is estimated at about $25,000.

Fire Officials said that lightning from the severe storms that passed through the area is believed to be the cause of the fire, but it is still under investigation.