Baby Dies, Four Kids Hurt in Chicago Fire

The adults tried to go hack into the house to rescue the children but were driven back by heavy smoke.


A sleeping baby girl perished and four other children were hospitalized after a fire broke out at a home with no smoke detectors on the Far South Side.

Video | Images

The fire broke out at about 12:45 a.m. at 330 E. 136th Place.

The fire was burning on the upper, attic level -- where the infant was sleeping -- of a two-level frame single family residence according to Fire Media spokesman Chief Kevin MacGregor.

The baby was in cardiac arrest when taken from the fire and transported to a hospital. She was pronounced dead at about 1:40 a.m.

An 11-year-old girl who jumped from a second-floor window suffered smoke inhalation and second-degree burns. A 1-year-old, whom firefighters rescued from the first floor, suffered smoke inhalation, said MacGregor, due to the "heavy smoke conditions."

The girl and the 1-year-old were taken to local hospitals and both listed in serious to critical condition, he said. There was

An 8-year-old boy and a 10-year-old boy -- brothers -- were taken to another local hospital in fair to good condition, MacGregor said. The boys had been outside walking around, and were not seriously injured.

Witnesses said the adults who made it out of the home tried to go back inside to save the children, but the smoke was too heavy.

"One of the little girls, she tried to jump out of the window and I wanted to catch her, but it was just too long," neighbor Carmen McDonald said.

Calumet District Sgt. Greg Sloyan said police were notified of the fire when someone from across the street called and reported kids screaming inside the building that was on fire.

The home had no smoke detectors MacGregor said.

Additional information provided by Chicago Sun-Times Inc.

Copyright 2006 by NBC5.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.