An abandoned house caught fire in Mt. Washington on Thursday, spreading smoke throughout the neighborhood, WTAE Channel 4 Action News reported.
Witnesses watched as the structure at 301 Natchez Street became engulfed in flames.
"I looked over and the porch of the house was totally engulfed in flames and ... I came down the steps and onto the sidewalk to get away from the fire," said witness Michael Morrongiello.
Firefighters on the scene didn't even consider going in, according to fire officials.
Crews did what they could to keep the fire from spreading, but the home next door, at 303 Natchez Street, suffered some attic damage.
The rest of the couple's home was saved, fire chief George Holl said.
"Luckily, the wind was coming from another direction," Holl said. "If we would have had the wind coming from this direction we would have lost another house,"
Holl said some witnesses spotted two juveniles running from the house just after the fire started.
The fire was apparently caused by arson, and someone could have been seriously hurt, Holl said.
"I think they should be punished, because it's not right, even if the house is vacant, it's not right to be set on fire," said neighbor Marie Jackson.
Copyright 2006 by ThePittsburghChannel. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.