Kentucky Firefighter Burned while Battling Blaze

The firefighter fell through the living room floor into the basement.


A local firefighter is recovering from second-degree burns he sustained while battling a house fire.

Flames destroyed a home on Montfort Lane in southern Oldham County Wednesday evening, WLKY NewsChannel 32 reported.

Officials said the firefighter fell through the living room floor into the basement as crews were searching for hot spots. Investigators said they think a lawn mower in the garage sparked the fire.

The homeowner said her husband had just used it when the fire broke out minutes later, setting off the smoke detector, WLKY reported.

"We just worked on this house because it was a mess when we bought it, and we spent seven or eight years trying to remodel it," Linda Eversole said. "But he's safe."

It took the teamwork of four fire departments in Oldham County to put out the blaze.

Please follow WLKY NewsChannel 32 and WLKY.com for updates to this story as they become available.

Copyright 2006 by WLKY.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.