Couple Escapes Colorado House Fire

A couple escaped a house fire near a college campus in Edmond early Wednesday.


EDMOND, Okla. --

A couple escaped a house fire near a college campus in Edmond early Wednesday.

The fire started off north Jackson Street, near the University of Central Oklahoma, minutes after 3 a.m. Authorities said the couple who lived there escaped and was treated for smoke inhalation.

The couple's daughter said that, at first, she thought the worst had happened.

"I start freaking out, screaming, crying thinking my mom was dead in the house. I guess they crashed through the back door and got out that way," said Alexis Owen.

Owen said she thinks some cats knocked over a space heater.

Firefighters have not ruled on a cause.

Copyright 2008 by koco.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.