Fire investigators said that an electrical short connected to a 200-gallon aquarium caused a house fire that killed several pets.
Firefighters were able to rescue a dog, two birds and four cats from the home of Jacob and Danna Lafever, located at 1530 N.W. 13th St. in Fort Lauderdale. The couple returned to their home late Tuesday afternoon and found it engulfed in flames.
The fire killed three dogs, two birds, a cat and several fish and did more than $100,000 damage to the home.
The Lafevers were too distraught to talk about the fire, but neither of them was injured.