Florida Blaze Began in Car, Spreads to Home

An early morning fire that started in the engine compartment of a Pontiac Bonneville is responsible for a blaze that caused $15,000 to a Palm Bay home, officials told Local 6 News partner Florida Today.
The fire broke out about 5 a.m. Monday at a residence on the 200 block of Hoffer Street in northwest Palm Bay. None of the residents -- four men and one woman -- were injured. The blaze spread from the Bonneville to a nearby Dodge Ram pickup parked outside the home and then into the structure's attic.
"The fire was contained to the garage's attic. The owner of the car was quite upset and had to be removed by police," said Yvonne Martinez, spokeswoman for the Palm Bay Police Department.
Palm Bay Fire Rescue members were called out to the home by a neighbor who reported hearing a loud "boom."
Firefighters arrived within moments and put out the flames, which left both vehicles heavily damaged, officials said.
A state fire marshal was investigating the incident.

Loading