Brooklyn, Ind.-- At least two Morgan County firefighters were transported to area hospitals Tuesday night after they were overcome by heat as they fought to save a home in Brooklyn.
One firefighter was transported to Morgan Hospital and Medical Center by a Brown Township ambulance, while a second was transported to Hendricks Regional Health center by a Madison Township ambulance. Both were reportedly suffered because of the extreme heat.
According to reports at the scene, the family living in the home was cooking supper on the stove when grease ignited. The family tried to put the fire out with an extinguisher, but flames climbed the wall of the kitchen and spread to the second floor and attic area of the home. The fire was reported to the Morgan County Sheriff’s Department around 8 p.m. The sheriff’s department notified the Brooklyn Fire Department.
The home at 112 S. Main St. is less than three blocks from the fire department.
Because of the extreme heat and humidity, the department requested help from other departments.
Unfortunately, the closest fire departments, Mooresville and Brown Township, were tied up at a house fire on Main Street in Mooresville.
Brown Township was able to get one fire truck free to respond to Brooklyn. The Madison Township Fire Department sent fire crews and equipment to Brooklyn’s aid.
After the fire was extinguished in Mooresville, those crews traveled to Brooklyn to help.
The family was able to get its dogs out of the house before fire crews arrived.
Because of a shortage of ambulances, Decatur Township in Marion County sent an ambulance to Brooklyn.
The heavy fire damage was confined to the upper area of the home, but most of the family’s personal possessions were damaged by smoke and water.
Fire crews, dressed in heavy gear with air packs, could only work five to 10 minutes before becoming overheated. Except for the Brooklyn Fire Department, all other departments at the scene had lightweight aluminum tanks in their air packs. The Brooklyn Fire Department has the older and much heaver steel tanks in their air packs. Those packs severely limited what their fire crews could do. Brooklyn Fire Chief Mike McCool said it could cost up to $40,000 for new lightweight air packs for the department.
Fire crews were on the scene for more than three hours.
Republished with permission of the Reporter-Times.