A Pompano Beach family is homeless after fire, apparently started by fireworks, destroyed their mobile home.
|Related Content: Images | Video|
"It's a brand new mobile home. They haven't even moved in yet," said Richard Banyas of Pompano Beach Fire Rescue. "They still have brand new furniture inside. I believe they were due to move in in about a week and it's completely destroyed."
The blaze broke out Sunday night at the home on Northwest 33rd Street.
Neighbors said several teenagers were lighting fireworks in the area.
"There were some kids earlier playing with fireworks. They apparently tried to put it out, thought they did put it out and then left," Banyas said.
When Pompano Beach firefighters arrived, the mobile home was engulfed.
"We had flames coming out the roof," said Banyas.
According to the fire marshal's office, four juveniles were being questioned.
Enrique Gallegos told NBC 6 that his cousin's family, including three children, was about to move into the home.
"All the clothes, all the furniture, it's all burned out," Gallegos said. "Some guys were playing with fireworks and one firework went to the house and started burning and burned the house down."
No one was injured in the fire. The Red Cross is assisting the family.
Copyright 2006 by NBC6.net. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.