South Carolina Nursing Home Evacuated after Fire

MAULDIN, S.C. --

A fire that started in the laundry area of a Greenville County nursing home forced the 115 people who live there to spend the night elsewhere Tuesday.

Firefighters said that even though they were able to quickly extinguish the fire at the Magnolia Place home on Woodrruff Road, the building filled with smoke.

Nursing home officials evacuated the building because of the threat of carbon monoxide poisoning.

No one was hurt and residents were taken to other nursing homes for the night.

State health investigators were called in to help test the air and determine when it would be safe for residents to return.

Fire officials said that it could be as long as a few days before the cleanup is finished.

Fire investigators will do another air test Wednesday morning.

Loading