A 10-year-old girl and her 40-year-old mother died from injuries suffered in a fire in their Roseland neighborhood home early Saturday morning, officials said.
Killed was Arianna Miles, of 10233 S. King Drive, who was pronounced dead at 6:05 a.m. at Roseland Community Hospital, according to a spokesman from the Cook County Medical Examiners Office.
Miles' mother, 40-year-old Yvettea Grady, of the same address, was pronounced dead at 6:09 a.m. at Advocate Trinity Hospital, according to the spokesman.
An autopsy Sunday confirmed Miles and Grady died from carbon monoxide intoxication and inhalation of smoke and soot, the spokesman said.
Three other people were injured in the fire, which occurred at 4:57 a.m. at 10233 S. King Dr., according to fire Media Affairs Cmdr. Will Knight.
As emergency crews arrived on the scene about 5:01 a.m., they observed flames coming from the first and second floors of the three-story building, Knight said.
The fire appears to have been ignited as the result of faulty electrical wiring in the living room of the apartment, according to a report to the First Deputy Superintendent's office.
The three injured adults were also transported to Advocate Trinity Hospital and Little Company of Mary Hospital and Health Care Centers in Evergreen Park, Knight said, but he was unable to comment on their conditions.
The blaze was extinguished shortly after 6 a.m. Saturday, Knight said. Firefighters found one working smoke detector on the first floor and two smoke detectors on the third floor, he said. The smoke detectors found on the second floor were not working, Knight said.
There have been 17 deaths related to fires this year in Chicago, Knight said. That number is down from the 22 fatalities reported this time last year, he said.
Knight noted that 10 of the 17 fire deaths this year have been victims under the age of 13. To combat the number of fatalities, Supt. Ray Orozco has teamed up with city officials to pass out 1,900 smoke detectors, Knight said. In addition, at least 1,500 flyers detailing fire prevention have been passed out to area residents, he said.
Copyright 2006, Chicago Sun-Times Inc.
Copyright 2006 by NBC5.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.