He said it also showed that he still has it after all these years.
"I'm too old to be jumping through windows; or that's what people tell me anyways," he said with a laugh.
2007 Firehouse Heroism Awards
Grand Prize Recipient
- Firefighter James T. Byrne, FDNY Ladder 121
After leading a probationary firefighter to a refuge area, he crawled 22 feet under wind-driven flames to rescue a downed firefighter. He carried him back to safety.
- Assistant Chief Tim Bradley, Mebane, NC, Fire Department
Arriving before fire apparatus, he entered a well-involved mobile home to rescue a child without SCBA or a hoseline.
- Firefighter Joseph W. Donatelli, FDNY Ladder 132
After being lowered from the roof on a rope, rescued a woman trapped on the 25th floor as fire burned on the two floors below.
- Lieutenant Albert Cinotti, West Islip, NY, Fire Department, Company 4
While returning home from the firehouse, he came upon a house fire and without any protective equipment, entered the structure and removed an elderly male. Moments after he exited the structure, the room flashed over.
- Firefighter Thomas McGlade, FDNY, Ladder 14
After being extended by tower ladder into the East River, he rescued a man 120 feet from the shore as he was being swept by strong currents.
- Captain James W. Kitson FDNY, Ladder 47
Crawled into an apartment fire to locate an unconscious man. He dragged the victim to safety.
- Captain Peter Melly, FDNY, Division 7
While attempting to shut the door to an apartment while several firefighters were trapped by 50-mph wind- fueled flames, he was hit by a stream and lost his helmet and face piece. He suffered second-degree burns
- Firefighter George Eonas, Brockton, MA, Fire Department, Tower 2
After helping remove one victim of a house fire to safety, he stayed with another victims until a safe means of egress was found.
- Firefighter Kevin Galligan, Brockton, MA, Fire Department, Tower 2.
Arriving first at a house fire, he used a ladder to rescue two occupants. He later located and removed two more victims.
- Lieutenant Daniel Santry, Brockton, MA, Fire Department, Tower 2
With firefighters Eonas and Santry, located and removed two victims after assisting an infant and woman down a ground ladder at a house fire.