PHOENIX (AP) -- Four residents of a nursing home were hospitalized after a fire inside one of the care center's rooms, authorities said.
About 40 people were evacuated from the Lodge assisted-living center Thursday night and taken to other care facilities in the Phoenix area, according to Phoenix fire officials.
Assistant Fire Chief Bob Khan said the fire apparently started on a resident's mattress but the cause of the blaze was not immediately known.
One man was taken to Maricopa Medical Center in critical condition after suffering second- and third-degree burns and smoke inhalation, authorities said.
Two women and one man were transported to other Phoenix-area hospitals for smoke inhalation, Khan said.