LOS ANGELES (AP) -- A glass nitric acid container exploded in a Cal State, LA, science laboratory during a class Tuesday night, leaving three students with minor cuts, authorities said.
Two women and one man were transported to a hospital but their injuries were not serious, city Fire Department spokesman Brian Humphrey said. Nothing caught fire and nobody was harmed by acid in the blast shortly after 9 p.m., he said.
A college professor in the room during the blast said the acid container exploded shortly after it was capped.
Firefighters contained the gallon of spilled acid and a number of people were evacuated from the science building at the California State University, Los Angeles, campus.
Humphrey said the spilled acid posed no danger to the surrounding residential area known as University Heights.