Nine-Year-Old Boy Dies In North Carolina House Fire

YADKINVILLE, N.C. (AP) -- A 9-year old boy died in a fire that critically injured his father and gutted their house, Yadkin County fire officials said.

George Andrew Willard III, was severely burned over most of his body as he tried to rescue his son, Nathan Willard, from the house shortly after midnight Monday. Willard was in critical condition Wednesday at Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center in Winston-Salem, a hospital spokeswoman said.

''He tried to run in there three times, and 911 dispatchers told the neighbor to stop him from running back in the house,'' said Mark Faircloth, Nathan's uncle. ''If he finds out that his son died, it would kill him.''

The fire started behind a wood stove in the living room, said Yadkin County Fire Marshal Eddie Weatherman.

Loading