CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. (AP) -- About 270 people were evacuated from Kennedy Space Center's Vehicle Assembly Building when a fire broke out on part of the roof.
No injuries or damage to space shuttle hardware were reported Thursday.
The small blaze began atop one of the building's low bays, where roofers were doing work with a blowtorch and tar, NASA spokesman Mike Rein said. The tar began to smolder and eventually ignited.
Fire crews responded to the alarm about 2 p.m. An on-scene commander reported two hours later that the fire had been extinguished.
The vehicle assembly building is one of the largest buildings in the world.