Three Family Members Die In Jamestown, Tennessee Fire

JAMESTOWN, Tenn. (AP) -- A mobile home fire that killed a woman trying to save her daughter and granddaughter was started by a wood-burning stove, investigators said.

The fire was reported just after 1 a.m. Thursday and by the time firefighters arrived, the roof of the trailer had collapsed.

Patricia Winningham, her daughter, Christy, and her 2-year-old granddaughter, Charlie Peterson, were killed. Darren Ward, who also lived in the home, escaped and went to a neighbor's home to call for help.

According to the sheriff's department, Ward told officers that Winningham also made it out but went back in to help save her daughter and granddaughter and was overcome by smoke.

When firefighters arrived, too much time had passed.

''Fifteen minutes is a long time for one of them to stand,'' Fire Chief Hollis Crabtree said of mobile homes.

State fire marshal investigators said the fire started at a wood-burning stove used for heating. They also found a smoke alarm that didn't work.

Loading