South Carolina Man Dies In Apartment Fire

A St. George man has died after fire started in his apartment and fire department officials say smoking may have been the cause of the blaze.


CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP) -- A St. George man has died after fire started in his apartment and fire department officials say smoking may have been the cause of the blaze.

Firefighters were called to the apartment of Carlie Thompson, 64, shortly after 6:30 a.m. Thursday.

The fire was nearly out when firefighters arrived, said Capt. Curtis Burns of the St. George Fire Department. Firefighters found matches and pipes by Thompson's bed and matches in a melted plastic trash can in the bedroom.

The bed was burned but the fire never broke through the windows, Burns said.

Firefighters broke a window and found Thompson's body several feet from the front door, Burns said.

Dorchester County Chief Deputy Coroner Perida Moultrie said Thompson died from smoke inhalation.

Burns said he did not see a smoke detector or fire extinguisher in the apartment.