Lighted Candle Blamed for Colorado Fire That Killed Two Girls

Fire investigators said Tuesday a lighted candle accidentally started a mobile home fire that killed two young sisters.


GREELEY, Colo. (AP) -- Fire investigators said Tuesday a lighted candle accidentally started a mobile home fire that killed two young sisters.

Brianna and Janet Quintero, ages 3 and 5, died Dec. 1 when their family's mobile home erupted into flames.

The candle was in the girls' bedroom, Deputy Fire Marshal Dale Lyman said.

Firefighters found the front of the mobile home engulfed in flames when they arrived shortly after midnight Wednesday.

The girls' mother, Sylvia Rivas, 24, and stepfather, Maximo Tiburcio, 29, suffered minor injuries while trying to rescue the girls. They were home when the fire broke out.

Witnesses said the parents were screaming for the girls, who were crying inside.