February 4, 2005 -- Donations and letters of sympathy are pouring in to the special Uniformed Firefighters Association fund launched by The Post to help the families of three city firefighters killed and four critically injured in the line of duty.
Three heroes died Sunday, Jan. 23, in two separate blazes, in The Bronx and Brooklyn - the worst single day for the FDNY since 9/11.
Many people have enclosed words of condolence and gratitude with their donation.
"I served as a patrolman for 12 years and know well the courage and bravery of members of the Fire Department," wrote a Brooklyn retired NYPD lieutenant. "The deceased officers and families will be remembered in my prayers."
One woman said her check was "a small gesture to show the firefighters who are injured and the families of the brave firemen who perished how much we care about them."
The firefighters who lost their lives were Lt. Curtis Meyran, 46, of Battalion 26; John Bellew, 37, of Ladder Co. 27; and Richard Sclafani, 37, of Ladder Co. 103.
The injured heroes are Jeffrey Cool, 37, and Joseph DiBernardo, 34, of Rescue Co. 3; and Eugene Stolowski, 33, and Brendan Cawley, 31, of Ladder 27.
The UFA is managing all facets of the Heroes Fund.
All the money raised will go to the seven firefighters' families, and the union will divide the funds evenly among them.
Those who want to contribute should send a check to:
Heroes Fund, c/o Uniformed Firefighters Association, 204 E. 23rd St., New York, N.Y. 10010.
Contributions are not tax deductible.
Inquiries about the fund can be directed to Sheila Pettit of the UFA at (212) 545-6962.
- Surving Firefighter Lends Helping Hand to FDNY Fire Widow
- Fire Union President Calls on FDNY to Reissue Personal Safety Ropes
- Deaths of Two Firefighters Raise Issue of Safety Ropes
- FDNY Lt. Curtis Meyran Laid to Rest
- FDNY Firefighter Released From Hospital
- Second FDNY Firefighter Wake Held
- Tears, Applause Mark First of Three Firefighter Farewells
- Memorializing a Fallen FDNY Firefighter
- New York Fire Widow Speaks Out
- Tapes Reveal the Instant Bronx Blaze Turned Deadly
- Three FDNY Bravest Lost in Blazes in Brooklyn and Bronx
- Tragic Bond of New York Brothers
- Water Pressure Fails: The Routine Turns Deadly
- Stunned Words of Grief in Firehouses
- Three Firefighters Dead, Four Critical in Bronx, Brooklyn Blazes
- Two Firefighters Killed Battling Apartment Blaze In The Bronx
- FDNY Bravest Dies Battling Bronx Blaze
- Two FDNY Bravest Die Battling Bronx Blaze
- Recent Multi-Fatality Line of Duty Death Incidents
Official FDNY Releases & Briefs
- Viewing & Funeral Arrangements for FDNY Bravest Lost
- FDNY Outlines Briefing on Review Process of Deadly Fires
- Brooklyn Fire & LODD Release
- Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg and Fire Commissioner Nicholas Scoppetta Announce the Death of Fire Lieutenant Curtis W. Meyran and Firefighter John G. Bellew
The Tragedy in Photos