BENTON, Ark. (AP) -- A Benton firefighter was seriously injured when gasoline fumes at a fire station ignited, causing an explosion, fire officials said.
Capt. Joey Brannon, 37, was being treated for burns at Arkansas Children's Hospital, where he was admitted after the Monday blast. He was listed in good condition Tuesday, a hospital spokeswoman said.
The explosion occurred at 10:10 a.m. at a station on Salt Creek Road on the north side of Benton.
Fire Chief Ben Blankenship said firefighters at the station smelled gasoline fumes in an equipment bay and tried to open a door so fresh air could get into the area.
``Before they could get to the door, the gasoline apparently found an ignition point,'' Blankenship said.
The Little Rock fire marshal will investigate the cause of the fire.
Brannon joined the department in 1989 and is married with four children, the oldest of whom is 14, Blankenship said.