Three Children Killed in Kentucky House Fire

MADISONVILLE, Ky. (AP) -- Two children and a teenager were killed early Wednesday in a mobile home fire in Hopkins County that left eight others injured.

The cause of the fire is under investigation, but no foul play is suspected, said Trooper Stu Recke of the Kentucky State Police.

Delphine Hart, a neighbor and family member, said she and her husband woke to a popping sound and stepped outside to see the mobile home on fire.

``By the time we got out here to call 911, the place was engulfed,'' Hart said.

Investigators were looking at the possibility that a wood-burning stove in the dining room, the family's only source of heat, may have started the blaze, The Messenger of Madisonville reported Thursday.

Three of the injured were transported to Kosair Children's Hospital in Louisville for treatment of severe burns, said Dennis Mayfield, deputy coroner in Hopkins County. The hospital listed 4-year-old Alyssa Duncan, 15-month-old Bryden Mann and 5-year-old Korie Hart in critical condition on Thursday.

The two adults present, Cole and Laura Duncan, and two other children were taken to Regional Medical Center in Madisonville for treatment of minor injuries, Recke said. They were released Wednesday.

The couple's daughter, 6-year-old Brianna Nicole Duncan, was killed in the fire, along with her cousin, 4-year-old Christian Nathan Flores, and Cole Duncan's brother, Adam Orlando Duncan, 18, officials and family members said. Their bodies were found throughout the charred residence.

Mayfield said the victims died of smoke inhalation.

Hart's husband, Jerry Hart, who is Cole Duncan's uncle, went into the burning mobile home three times trying to help rescue the others, but said the thick smoke forced him out each time. He was also taken to the Madisonville hospital and released.

Hart said that as he approached the burning trailer, Laura Duncan was outside holding a baby and screaming, ``My kids are inside.'' He said another child was outside by that time and others were coming out.

``I was thinking about the kids,'' he said. ``There were babies in there.''

Delphine Hart said the trailer had smoke alarms, and said the family was ``pretty responsible'' with the wood stove. ``They usually started a fire toward evening time,'' she said.

The trailer had four outside doors.

Delphine Hart said the family is grieving.

``They're doing not good, not good at all,'' Hart said.

The Duncans went to Louisville to be with the children hospitalized there. ``We have a big church family and half of them are up there,'' Hart said.

All 10 people in the home at the time of the fire were living there, Recke said.

The mobile home consisted of two single trailers pushed together, and was completely gutted by the fire, Recke said.

The fire started about 12:45 a.m. CST on High Glory Road in Nebo, Mayfield said.

The Harts owned the residence and built it by combining two trailers. After living in it themselves for a while, they moved next door and began letting other people use it. She said the Duncans had only lived there about six weeks.