BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) -- A woman who went out to run an errand came back to find her mobile home on fire and her 15-year-old son dead.
Marcus Marion was killed in a blaze early Thursday that was triggered by a short-circuit in an air conditioner, said Howard Ward, a fire department spokesman.
Marion's mother, Judith Marion, said she came back to the mobile home only to find the fire raging and the residence gutted.
She said Marion often worked with his father, a roofer, and recently went to Florida to help rebuild some of the houses destroyed by the four hurricanes that ravaged that state.
At the time of his death, Marcus was preparing to return to Florida to work on a construction project with his 18-year-old brother and his father, his mother said.