One Injured in Fire at Iowa University's Chemistry Building

IOWA CITY, Iowa (AP) -- A man working in a laboratory in a chemistry building at the University of Iowa was burned in a flash fire, officials said.

The fire happened about 9:30 p.m. Monday after the man spilled a highly flammable solvent on his arm and outside a vented work area, said Capt. Larry Kahler of the Iowa City Fire Department.

The chemical, tetrahydrofluran, ignited, causing a small explosive flash fire, he said. It blew out two windows in the lab, burned the man's arm and started some cardboard boxes on fire, Kahler said.

The victim was able to walk out the building. He was treated at the scene, then taken to University Hospitals. The man's name nor his condition was immediately released.

The fire, which was contained to the lab, was extinguished with a fire extinguisher. There was no smoke or water damage and firefighters found no addition chemical hazards, Kahler said

Fire crews were on the scene for about an hour.

Loading