Woman Homeless After Maine Fire

A woman was left homeless Wednesday after a fast-moving fire destroyed the mobile home she was renting at Maheu's Trailer Park on Route 23


CANAAN -- A woman was left homeless Wednesday after a fast-moving fire destroyed the mobile home she was renting at Maheu's Trailer Park on Route 23.

Deborah Wilson, 48, said she had been cooking french fries, sat down and fell asleep. By the time firefighters arrived shortly after 1 p.m., there was no hope of saving the trailer.

"I dozed off," said Wilson, who also said she takes lots of medications for her ailments. "The next thing I knew there were popping noises, and I had a hard time getting out the door."

No one was injured.

Wilson said she has a daughter who lives in Winslow, but her home is too small to accommodate another person.

"I don't know what I'm going to do now," said Wilson, standing outside the door of her neighbor, Zelma Cole.

Wilson said she rushed from her burning trailer to Cole's trailer, and made the 911 call. Canaan Fire Chief Raymond B. Small said he responded in a timely fashion, but to no avail. The roof collapsed, he said.

"I was 15 minutes away," Small said. "They did a good job knocking it down quickly, but she was fully involved when the call came in."

Wilson said she owns three cats, and that one of them was in the trailer when the fire struck. She was not sure if the cat made it out alive.

Firefighters from Canaan, Skowhegan and Clinton rushed to the scene, as well as Redington-Fairview EMS.