Canadian Aapartment Fire That Leaves 33 Homeless, Accidental Say Police

MONCTON, N.B. (CP) -- A weekend apartment building fire appears to have been accidental, police said Monday.

The blaze left 50 residents homeless after racing through the 33-unit complex early Sunday.

RCMP said the blaze broke out in a room on the top floor of the four-storey building.

At least two people were taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation.

Parts of the building sustained heavy damage.

The Red Cross helped to find shelter for some of the displaced residents.

About eight people had to be put up in hotels.