For the 18th year, the fire service takes to the pages of the Firehouse® Magazine National Run Survey to share and compare a number of statistics about company and department activity levels, funding, staffing and pay. More than 270 career fire departments took part in this year's survey, representing departments from every state in the Union and five provinces of Canada. The departments represented in this survey serve 85 million citizens, have over 135,000 members, and a total budget of $9 billion-plus. They provide this service with 4,300 engine companies, 1,600 ladder companies and numerous other units.
The results for the busiest company in each classification reflect the single busiest unit of that type in each jurisdiction. Other units may have been nearly as busy, but only one unit per jurisdiction is listed. Part 1 includes fire department profiles, total calls for 1998 and the busiest battalion chiefs. Other categories will be featured in the July issue. (Please note that some departments did not provide information in all categories.)
Our sincere thanks to each department that participated in this year's survey. If your department didn't appear, we invite you to write in and request a survey for next year.
Fire Department Profiles
- Fire Department Profiles Part I (Anchorage, AK - Seminole County, FL)
- Fire Department Profiles Part II (South Walton, FL - Walpole, MA)
- Fire Department Profiles Part III (Wellesley, MA - Jackson, MS)
- Fire Department Profiles Part IV (Helena, MT - Columbia, SC)
- Fire Department Profiles Part V (Rock Hill, SC - Canada)
Fire Department Total Calls 1998
- Fire Department Total Calls 1998 Part I (Busiest)
- Fire Department Total Calls 1998 Part II
- Fire Department Total Calls 1998 Part III
- Fire Department Total Calls 1998 Part IV
- Fire Department Total Calls 1998 Part V (Slowest)