Firehouse® Magazine asked manufacturers of fire apparatus chassis to describe for our readers the latest developments in the industry. The following reports were provided by the manufacturers. American LaFrance Freightliner Photo by Firehouse Staff American LaFrance...
To access the remainder of this piece of premium content, you must be registered with Firehouse. Already have an account? Login
Register in seconds by connecting with your preferred Social Network.
Complete the registration form.
Randy Oetting, Navistar marketing manager for fire trucks
Spartan Motors Inc.
Photo by Firehouse Staff
Spartan Motors Inc.
Spartan Motors Inc., headquartered in Charlotte, MI, is a world innovator of custom chassis, leading in the engineering and manufacturing of the foundations for the fire truck industry. What makes a Spartan custom chassis unique is that each one is engineered and built specifically for its intended end use, providing a perfect fit and balance to the body.
The company operates with approximately 500 full-time employees in nearly 300,000 square feet of manufacturing and office capacity at its corporate headquarters in Charlotte, MI.
The following six custom fire truck chassis series are offered through over 48 OEMs nationwide:
- The "Advantage" fire truck chassis and cab is priced to provide an alternative to a commercial chassis which typically features less standard features and available options. The Advantage chassis is Spartan's first product designed to compete directly with the commercial market without sacrificing the added flexibility, quality and end-user orientation of a custom-built fire truck.
Features include the Cummins C8.3 300-hp or 325-hp diesel engine coupled with a full range of MD3060 Allison transmissions.
- Spartan's custom engine forward "Metrostar" fire truck chassis offers several tilt cab options and features Cummins C8.3, 300-hp, 325-hp and up to the M-11 320 and 350-hp diesel engines. Your choice of power also includes the Detroit Diesel Series 40 330-hp engine. The Allison MD3060 and MD3066 transmissions are available on this premium chassis.
- Spartan's mid-engine custom "Baron" fire truck chassis and cab is powered by your choice of the Cummins M-11 320-hp to 450-hp diesel engines or the Detroit Diesel Series 60 430-hp diesel engine. Couple this with the wide range of Allison MD3060, MD3066 and HD4060 automatic transmission and you have a powerhouse of a vehicle.
- The custom rear-engine "Silent Knight" fire truck chassis and cab features Cummins C8.3 320-hp to 400-hp diesel engines or the Detroit Diesel Series 40 330-hp engine. The Allison MD3060, MD3066 or HD4060 transmissions are available on this premium chassis. One of the most unique features is the full air suspension adding to the life cycle of the vehicle and comfort for the driver and crew.
The rear engine together with a three-gear transfer case and air suspension front and rear produces the quietest, smoothest, best riding and handling fire truck chassis in the industry.
- Spartan's most popular custom fire truck chassis, the engine forward "Gladiator," has set world-class standards for over 20 years. This unit leads the Spartan chassis and cab line-up and features Cummins M-11 350-hp to the powerful 450-hp diesel engines with the option of the Detroit Diesel Series 60 350-hp to 500-hp engine. This coupled with the Allison HD 4060 or HD4060PR transmission provides the power that meets the most demanding call. The standard features and available options seem almost endless.
John R. Gaedert, director of corporate communications, Spartan Motors Inc.