NY Blaze Guts Vacationing Family's Home

It took 106 firefighters from 25 units more than two hours to bring the blaze under control.


New Year's Day left one Forest Hills family with little to celebrate - a raging fire gutted their home while they were on vacation.

Theodore and Randy St. Germain and their three children were skiing in Colorado when the two-alarm blaze broke out in the three-story brick home in Queens around 7:45 a.m. yesterday, authorities said.

It took 106 firefighters from 25 units more than two hours to bring the blaze under control. Nine firefighters suffered minor injuries and were treated at local hospitals.

The St. Germains, who have two boys and a girl, had lived in the house at 72-20 Harrow St. for 15 years.

Residents said Theodore works for an engineering firm, and his wife is a homemaker who volunteers at PS 101, where her youngest child attends school. The couple's middle child is a high-school student, and their oldest is in college, said neighbor Patrick Conlon, 17, whose parents' home is adjacent to the St. Germains'.

"I smelled the smoke and felt the heat. The entire house was filled with smoke," Conlon said.