Indy House Catches Fire During Bedbugs Fight

INDIANAPOLIS

 

A home on Indianapolis' near-east side caught fire Monday morning after two men tried to rid it of bedbugs, fire officials said.

Firefighters were called to the home in the 900 block of Lexington Avenue about 11:30 a.m.

The men told firefighters that they pulled three couches and two chairs into the back yard of the home and set them on fire using a lighter and a piece of newspaper.

"The pile of furniture on fire communicated to the house only feet away," said Indianapolis fire Capt. Rita Burris. "The men tried to use a hose to put out the fire, but to no avail."

The occupants of the home had been renting it for three months. Damage was estimated at $15,000.

 

Copyright 2012 by TheIndyChannel.com All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Loading