Firefighters work to extinguish a fire on Pier 17 at the South Street Seaport in New York.
Firefighters work to extinguish a fire on Pier 17 at the South Street Seaport in New York on Saturday, July 14, 2012. Fire officials said there were no injuries.
Photo credit: (AP Photo/Mary Altaffer)
Plumes of smoke rising from Pier 17 at the South Street Seaport in New York.
This photo provided by Kieran Carley, a New York Water Taxi crew member on the Ikea shuttle, shows plumes of smoke rising from Pier 17 at the South Street Seaport in New York on Saturday, July 14, 2012. The fire was doused without any injuries on Saturday, fire officials said.
Photo credit: (AP Photo/Kieran Carley)
NEW YORK (AP) — Fire officials say the blaze that engulfed part of a building in New York City's South Street Seaport was caused by faulty electrical wiring.
Fire marshals also were looking Sunday into whether there was any structural damage from Saturday's blaze in the tourist-friendly historic neighborhood.
The fire started under Pier 17 on the East River. It covered about 100 square feet. Big plumes of black smoke wafted over the Manhattan skyline.
Fire Department spokesman Jim Long said the blaze "could have been a disaster." The pier was teeming with hundreds of visitors. But no one was hurt, and firefighters doused the flames in less than two hours.
None of the shops and restaurants along the pier was damaged.
The pier was reopened to visitors Saturday evening.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.