KELLER, Texas -- Firefighters from 15 departments fought a blaze that included exploding fuel cylinders Thursday afternoon at Keller Outdoor Power in the 400 block of North Main Street.
The fire started about 1:30 p.m. at the business, which sells commercial and residential outdoor power equipment. No injuries were reported.
Keller Fire Chief Dan Gaumont said the Fire Department is about two blocks away and "when we pulled out there was smoke blanketing over the highway."
The smoke was so thick that Main Street, also known as U.S. 377, was shut down from Keller Hicks Road to Mount Gilead Road.
The fire was contained by 3:30 p.m., but the highway was closed until about 8 p.m., Gaumont said.
Employee Billy Stewart said he was outside working on a car when he smelled an electrical fire.
"I opened the door of the shop and saw the entire wall on fire," Stewart said.
Stewart said he found the employees inside and two customers and everyone got out safely.
Fire departments including Keller, Fort Worth, Trophy Club, Colleyville, North Richland Hills, Westlake and Grapevine responded to the alarms.
Volunteers were bringing bags of ice and water to assist the firefighters in the triple-digit heat.
"When it's this hot, it doesn't take long to get dehydrated," Gaumont said. "Those guys have 80-pound suits on that don't breathe."
Firefighters were rotated every 20 minutes and did not enter the building because of safety concerns, he said.
"There were six 55-gallon drums of racing fuel and several propane cylinders inside the building," Gaumont said. "While we were fighting the fire they exploded."
One of the business's two buildings was destroyed, Gaumont said.
Copyright 2012 - Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Texas
McClatchy-Tribune News Service