Three people, including a small child and a young pregnant woman, had to be rescued from the porch roof of a burning West Manchester Township, Pa. home on Sept. 9.
Photo credit: YouTube
Three people, including a small child and a young pregnant woman, had to be rescued from the porch roof of a burning West Manchester Township home Sunday night.
The woman and the child, who live at the 2595 W. Philadelphia St. home, were taken to York Hospital for observation, said Roy Gentzler, assistant chief with West Manchester Township Fire Dept.
The third person, the woman's boyfriend, who also lives in the home, did not require medical attention.
Firefighters arrived at the home a little after 11 p.m. to find smoke and flames pouring from the building.
"There was smoke and flames in the home with three people on the porch roof," Gentzler said.
A second alarm was quickly struck as initially dispatched firefighters arrived on the scene.
Firefighters used a ladder to get to the people on the porch roof and guided the three residents to safety.
The York-Adams Chapter of the American Red Cross is assisting them. Gentzler said.
Flames: Sue and Bill Zimmerman were about to go to sleep in their home just down the street when their dog started barking and the couple smelled smoke.
"I looked out the window and saw flames," Sue Zimmerman said.
She said the entire rear of the house was engulfed in flames that reached as high as the second floor of the two-story brick home.
The fire was mainly contained to the rear of the house but other parts of the building sustained smoke and water damage.
"It appears at this point the fire started in the kitchen," Gentzler said.
Firefighters attacked the blaze and had it knocked down in about 20 minutes.
"Once we made an aggressive attack on it, we had it out quickly," Gentzler said.
Nine fire companies from the surrounding area were dispatched to the fire. No injuries were reported.
An estimate of damage was not available Sunday night.
A state police fire marshal will aid West Manchester Township fire officials in determining the cause of the fire, Gentzler said.
Copyright 2012 York Newspapers, Inc. All Rights Reserved