March 14--Allentown firefighters quickly knocked down a fire Thursday morning in a corner grocery store in a three-story building at 9th and Allen streets.
Tito Rosario of Lumber Street said he spotted the fire while walking his dog just after 6 a.m. and called 911. He said smoke was spewing out the lower windows of the Delgado Service Center store at 601 N. Ninth St.
Fire Capt. John Christopher said the fire was likely caused by an electrical problem because the fire started behind the freezers in the front of the store.
Heavy smoke filled the street when firefighters first arrived.
Christopher said firefighters had the fire out within 10-15 minutes and contained the damage to the area around the freezer. He said the store will not be able to reopen without clearance from health officials.
Three apartments on the second and third floors were not damaged. Only one of them was occupied, and the resident was not displaced, Christopher said.
Copyright 2013 - The Morning Call (Allentown, Pa.)