Propane Tank Blast Rocks Michigan House

People were cooking on a portable propane stove inside the house when the tank blew.


BAY PORT -- An explosion reportedly caused by the propane tank of a small portable camping stove jarred walls loose in a home located on Main Street in the village this week.

According to Fairhaven Township Fire Chief Roger Gothro, the occupants of the home appeared to be cooking inside their home with the portable stove hooked to a 16-ounce propane tank typically used for camping, when the explosion occurred about 4:30 p.m. Monday.

Gothro said there was extensive damage to the house from the concussion of the explosion, which knocked a couple walls loose and dislodged them, as well as a door frame. He reported vast structure damage to the house, but just minor fire damage.

About eight firefighters from the Fairhaven department responded to the scene and were there about 90 minutes. Also assisting at the scene were the Fairhaven Township Police Department, Huron County Sheriff's Office and ambulance personnel.

One of the occupants of the home suffered burns, but Gothro was unsure as to what extent those injuries were. Police are looking further into the situation.

Seth Stapleton --989-269-6461 --sstapleton@hearstnp.com