Oct. 07--VALPARAISO -- Emergency responders were called to Andrew Drive on Sunday after an electronic cigarette caused some curtains to catch fire.
The electronic cigarette was plugged into an outlet that was plugged into a USB when the battery exploded around 3:37 p.m., according to Chief Mark Norris with Valparaiso Fire Department.
"The explosion had about a three-and-a-half (foot) travel path," Norris said. "The battery hit the curtains and they caught on fire. Luckily, the occupants heard it."
Norris said three adults and one child were in the home at the time. One occupant told officials the explosion sounded like a gun going off.
One person inside the home attempted to put the fire out with an extinguisher and then a large blanket but was unsuccessful. After clearing out the home, he grabbed the curtains and threw them onto the carport outside.
"We arrived just as he was taking the curtains out of the house," Norris said. "We put it out and with the help of Eglin's fire department ventilated the home."
Norris said damages were estimated at just around $100.
The owner of the electronic cigarette said she had plugged the device in just 10 minutes prior to the explosion. In February 2012, a Niceville man was seriously injured when the electronic cigarette he was smoking exploded.
"This has become a somewhat common occurrence," Norris said. "I strongly urge caution with anyone using the device."
Contact Daily News Staff Writer Angel McCurdy at 850-315-4432 or email@example.com. Follow her on Twitter @AngelMnwfdn.
Copyright 2013 - Northwest Florida Daily News, Fort Walton Beach