Oct. 11--A fire sparked by a clothes dryer caused the evacuation of 43 residents of a Marysville retirement and assisted living facility on Thursday afternoon.
The Marysville Police and Fire departments responded to a 911 call at 3:47 p.m. from Sunrise Garden Residential Care, 125 East 10th Street.
A care provider at the facility discovered the fire around the clothes dryer and called 911 after failing to extinguish the blaze with two cans of flame retardent, said Marysville Police Chief Dave Baker.
One employee, a woman, was treated for heavy smoke inhalation and released on scene.
"While sucking in pretty heavy smoke, she continued to evacuate dependents from the facility," Baker said.
No residents were injured in the fire.
The evacuation also received a needed helping hand from four young adults who lived nearby.
Care provider Joe Pacomo was evacuating eight to nine residents in wheelchairs through the backdoor when he was approached by the young men. When contacted, the men declined to comment.
"They came up to me and asked, 'Do you need help?' And I said, 'Yes, please!'" Pacomo said. "It was a big help."
The residents were expected to be moved for one night as the facility is cleaned up. The overnight stay is a safety measure, said Fire Chief Matt Wallen.
Buses from Yuba-Sutter Transit were expected to take the residents to Yuba City Manor.
The fire was most likely caused by blockage to the exhaust of the dryer where excess heat from accumulated lint and debris finally reached ignition, Wallen said.
Firefighters quickly found the source of the smoke and were able to suppress the flames within minutes, Wallen said.
CONTACT reporter Andrew Creasey at 749-4780.
Copyright 2013 - Appeal-Democrat, Marysville, Calif.