Oct. 13--MANCHESTER -- A stubborn, fire heavily damaged a building Saturday night at 801 Main St. that houses a bakery, convenience store and apartments, belching flames and smoke, and frustrating firefighters' efforts to control it about three hours after its outbreak about 9 p.m., fire officials said.
No injuries were reported in the blaze that began in the basement below the Great Harvest Bread Co. and burned upward toward second-floor apartments, enveloping the downtown commercial neighborhood in choking clouds of smoke.
Firefighters from several surrounding towns assisted in battling the blaze, which officials said was made more difficult because there was only one entrance in and out of the basement that filled with heavy smoke.
No estimate of the damage was available late Saturday.
Copyright 2013 - The Hartford Courant