Nov. 01--The internal investigation into nine Milwaukee firefighters accused of vandalizing an engine house is wrapping up and information should be available during the first part of next week, Fire Chief Mark Rohlfing said.
The vandalism is alleged to have occurred at Engine House 32 on N. 30th St. during the Sept. 28 overnight shift, the last shift before many of the firefighters were to be transferred.
Two of the suspended firefighters have since retired. Two of those suspended were probationary employees and were fired.
Rohlfing said last week that the two probationary employees were dismissed because the department lost confidence in them. Probationary employees cannot formally appeal their discipline before the Fire and Police Commission.
The former probationary firefighters, Nathan Fager and Joseph Siegert, filed a petition with more than 1,200 signatures Oct. 25 with the commission in the hopes of getting their jobs back.
Copyright 2013 - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel