An off-duty Louisiana firefighter died Sunday after a fire in his house.
Dustin Bordelon, 24, a Rapides Parish Fire District #2 firefighter, was found in the hallway by fellow colleagues, according to KALB.com.
Despite their efforts, he died a short time after arriving at Rapides Regional Hospital.
It appears the fire started in the kitchen leading investigators to believe he may have been cooking, and walked away, the station reported.
There were no working smoke detectors in the single-story house.
State Fire Marshal Butch Browning told a reporter: "During this tragic time, we offer our most heartfelt condolences to his family, loved ones, co-workers and all who knew him. This is truly a sad day for not only this community but for the entire fire service."