Dec. 12--A DeKalb County woman said a fire in her home awakened her just in time Wednesday afternoon. She was able to get her grandmother, 3-year-old son and herself out safely before flames engulfed the upstairs of the family's Stone Mountain home.
"I felt the heat from it," Chelle Manson told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
Manson said the fire appeared to have started upstairs and spread so fast, there was little she could do but get her family outside.
"You could hear everything falling, even on the outside," Manson said as firefighters doused water on any remaining hot spots.
About 25 firefighters were dispatched to the South Malton Court home shortly after 3:30 p.m., according to Battalion Chief Melvin Carter with the DeKalb fire department. Firefighters initially feared other residents were trapped inside the home, but later learned that was not the case.
A space heater being used in the home may have been a contributing factor in the fire, according to Capt. Eric Jackson.
The Red Cross was contacted to assist the family, which also includes three other children who were not home at the time of the fire.
Copyright 2013 - The Atlanta Journal-Constitution