Jan. 12--Two men found after an apartment fire early Saturday morning died later in the day at Delta Medical Center, according to a Memphis Fire Department release.
The Memphis Fire Department responded to reports of an apartment fire at 3470 Wingood Circle early Saturday morning.
Firefighters witnessed flames coming from the two story building. Emergency response crews were on the scene and rescue operations began immediately.
The fire, the cause of which was apparently unattended food left on the stove, was extinguished by 4:39 a.m.
While performing a search of the unit's bedrooms, fire crews found the two men, who were transported to Delta Medical Center in critical condition. Both died later at the hospital. Neither has been identified, nor has a cause of death been discovered.
It has not been determined whether the unit had a working smoke detector.
In total, eight units sustained either smoke, fire or water damage.
Copyright 2014 - The Commercial Appeal, Memphis, Tenn.