COLLEGE PARK, Md. (WUSA9) -- Oakland Hall has reopened after a flash fire on the University of Maryland campus.
The flash fire happened around 8:48 Monday morning on the roof of Oakland Hall, a nine-story dorm on campus.
Mark Brady with Prince George's County Fire says two workers were injured after a flash fire while they were working on an HVAC roof unit. One of the workers was seriously injured and has been taken to a trauma center.
In a statement from University of Maryland, officials said that the two workers both sustained minor injuries and were taken to local hospitals for treatment.
A UMD alert originally said this was a minor explosion but then said there was no explosion and the flash fire started when an AC unit malfunctioned.
The building was evacuated and people were told to stay away from the area.
There were not many people in Oakland Hall at the time because students have not returned from break. The building was evacuated safely, officials said.
The building is closed for winter break until Jan. 24