Fire in Auditorium Forces Evacuation of Nev. School

Stage lighting sparked a fire at the Rancho High School in North Las Vegas forcing the evacuation of the school.


Feb. 10--Rancho High School in North Las Vegas was evacuated today after the drapes in the auditorium caught fire, Las Vegas Fire & Rescue officials said.

The fire has been extinguished and no injuries were reported.

North Las Vegas Fire Department and Las Vegas Fire & Rescue crews responded to the fire about 11:10 a.m. at the school at 1900 E. Searles Ave., near Bruce Street. According to a Las Vegas Fire & Rescue spokesman, a stage light sparked a fire in the drapes.

Students were allowed back into the school before 12:30 p.m., a Clark County School District official said.

Officials estimated damages at $100,000.

This is a developing story. Check back for more.

Copyright 2014 - Las Vegas Sun