Two Maryland women were flown to specialty care centers Thursday afternoon following an explosion in the building where they worked.
A propane leak was blamed for the blast in Carroll County, the state fire marshal's office reported.
Heather Bree Harbin, 38, was transported via state police helicopter to Johns Hopkins
Bayview Burn Center with first and second-degree burns to 40% of her upper torso and face. She remains in
critical but stable condition.
Julie Ann Griffith, 39, was transported by another chopper to R Adams Crowley Shock Trauma Center after receiving trauma as a direct result of the explosion. She is in good condition, according to a report.
Nearly 50 firefighters and EMS personnel responded to the scene of the two-alarm blaze. Units from Pleasant Valley,
Littlestown, Westminster, Taneytown, Reese, Harney and McSherrystown Volunteer Fire Departments
placed the fire under control in one hour. The Carroll County Advanced Tactical Rescue Team
responded to shore up the walls for safe entry by investigators.
The 20’ x 40’ single story building was originally built in 1850 as a small schoolhouse. It has
since been remodeled and operates as Premier Financial Solutions owned by Gail Martin of Silver Run.