Rescues Made at Utah Building Plagued by Fires

An Ogden firefighter used his turnout jacket to shield an infant from the extreme heat.


June 25--OGDEN -- Another fire has broken out at an apartment complex near the mouth of Ogden Canyon that has been the site of past fires over the years.

No one was injured in the blaze first reported at 6:15 a.m. today, but three residents had to be rescued by firefighters from a third-floor balcony.

Firefighters responded to the Gates at Canyon Ridge apartments, 1413 Canyon Cove Dr., where three stacked units were fully engulfed in flames. All residents were evacuated except for a father, mother and infant who were rescued by firefighters, Deputy Fire Chief Eric Bauman said.

Bauman said ladder trucks were prepared, but rescuers were able to break through the fire in the apartment to get to the trapped residents. One firefighter shielded the infant in his protective coat and got them to the hallway which was still safe at the time.

They were treated for minor smoke inhalation on the scene.

On Sunday, a similar blaze broke out in an apartment building in the same complex. That fire caused about $200,000 in damage and displaced 20 residents.

The Ogden Fire Marshal determined the cause of both fires was accidental, apparently started by inappropriately discarded smoking materials.

Holly Pell, who lives in one unit adjacent to one that was on fire, said she was awoken by neighbors who were yelling at people to get out, as well as the smell of smoke.

As she and her boyfriend left the apartment, they joined in the alarm to wake people up and to get out.

Pell said that there is a fire alarm system in the building, but that everyone was already outside before it was heard going off.

Firefighters were able to quickly rescue the residents and knock down the fire which was strengthened by morning winds coming from the canyon, Bauman said. Firefighters successfully rescued several pets from the building, however one dog perished in the fire.

The fire caused mostly external damage, but the entire building is uninhabitable for the time being, due to smoke damage and utilities needing to be shut off. Damage was estimated to be about $250,000 worth.

Bauman said there were 34 firefighters on scene.

About 30 residents were displaced by the fire, and more are likely as residents who were away become informed about the fire.

A number of the displaced residents are being assisted by the Red Cross, which is providing temporary shelter and supplies.

Contact reporter Andreas Rivera at 801-625-4227 or arivera@standard.net. Follow him on Twitter at @SE_Andreas.

Copyright 2014 - Standard-Examiner, Ogden, Utah