N.C. Firefighters Rescue Four From Fire

One victim was removed from a second floor window by Charlotte firefighters using a ladder.


The Charlotte Fire Department rescued four people from a burning house in the University area early Saturday.

Firefighters responded to a call around 2 a.m. at 11318 Astoria Drive and found black smoke billowing from the first floor of a two-story residence.

Using a ladder, they removed one victim through a second-story window. The other three victims were carried down the stairs outside to safety.

Firefighters had the blaze under control in 14 minutes.

Authorities said two adults and two children were being treated at an area hospital for smoke inhalation. No firefighters were injured.

An unattended candle caused the fire, which did an estimated $30,000 in damages.

Working smoke detectors alerted the occupants, but the family dog died in the fire, authorities said.

The fire displaced a family of seven and the Red Cross was notified.

———

©2014 The Charlotte Observer (Charlotte, N.C.)